Request your Proposal

Paperwork Requirements for British Citizens Residing in the UK

Important new procedures for British Nationals resident in the UK wishing to get married in Italy were introduced on 1 March 2013.

Please visit this link for specific details as where you reside and the citizenship of your future spouse determine the exact process:


When both parties are British nationals and both are resident in the United Kingdom.

You cannot start the documentation process more than 6 months before your wedding date, or 3 months if you are resident in Scotland.

There are 4 simple steps that each British national, resident in the UK, must follow to get the right paperwork for marrying in Italy.

Step 1 – Certificate of No Impediment (CNI)

You need to obtain what’s called a Certificate of No Impediment, which is issued in the UK. Request that your CNI be valid for 6 months.

To do this you must give notice of marriage to your local registry office. After your notice has been posted for the required period you will be issued with a ‘Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage’, signed and dated by your local Registrar.

It is essential that the names you give to the Registrar, which will appear on your Certificates of No Impediment, are exactly the same as written in your passports. For example, Jim Harris on the Certificate, and James Harris-Ford on your passport might mean that the Italian authorities will reject your paperwork and refuse to allow the marriage to go ahead. Please take your passport with you to the Registry Office, just to be absolutely certain.

While you are waiting for your Certificate of No Impediment you should make a statutory declaration before a solicitor or public notary in the UK. Please find a bi-lingual statutory declaration form attached to this email. The declaration is required by the Italian authorities and gives additional information that is not detailed on your Certificate of No Impediment.

The solicitor or public notary will charge a fee for this service. Fees will vary so it might be worth shopping around.  Be sure the solicitor stamps your statutory declaration with their notary stamp  or it will not be valid.

Step 3 – Legalising your documents for the Italian authorities

When you have your Certificate of No Impediment and you have made your Statutory Declaration, you need to send them both to the Legalisation Office for each to be legalised with a Hague Apostille. The Legalisation Office will charge for this.

Step 4 – Translation of your Certificate of No Impediment

Once both these documents have been legalised, you will then need to have the legalised Certificate of No Impediment translated. As it will become an Italian legal document it should be translated by a translator based in Italy and sworn before the Italian courts or an Italian Justice of the Peace. (Please note that Italian Town halls may also accept other types of official translation not covered in this guidance). If you’re using a wedding planner in Italy they may be able to provide this service. A fee will be charged – fees vary depending on the translator.  DIW provides the service of translation and courier service - please inquire with your planner. They will also charge a delivery fee to have the translation couriered back to you or to your wedding planner.

The Statutory Declaration does not need to be translated since it is already in both languages.

Each British national resident in the UK should have:

  • a Certificate of No Impediment – issued in the UK, legalised in the UK and then translated officially in Italy
  • a bilingual Statutory Declaration legalised in the UK
  • passport
  • any further documents specifically requested by your Comune (town hall) of marriage.

Once all of these documents have been prepared, they should be sent direct to either your wedding planner or to the town hall where you intend to get married. There is no longer any requirement for wedding documentation for British nationals resident in the UK to be sent to any British Consular Section in Italy for further processing.

It is always advisable for you, or your wedding agent, to check with the town hall where you intend to marry regarding extra documentation, for example photocopies of the passports of your witnesses, or how many days prior to the wedding you need to visit their offices.

Please note, under Italian law, a woman who has been divorced or widowed and wishes to re-marry in Italy cannot do so until 300 days have passed from the date of her divorce/death of husband.

Finally please note that your Certificate of No Impediment will be valid for six months from the date on your English, Welsh or Northern Irish CNI or three months if presenting a Scottish CNI.

For further easy-to-follow guidance have a look at these videos:





Distinctive Italy Weddings has in over 20 years of planning weddings in Italy and we have culled the country’s best vendors. They have a proven track record of delivering and will go the extra mile to satisfy our couples. From your wedding photographer in Italy to floral designer to bands, caterers and more, we will guide you in the right direction. Our couples rave about our Italian wedding vendors! Let us partner with you to create a one of a kind celebration. Special lighting and one of a kind layouts are what our design team loves to plan. We have extensive experience with big event productions.

Wedding Proposal Request