Planning a wedding at Villa Balbianello means selecting the most exclusive of all of the Italian Lake wedding venues. The villa's gardens are magnificent, enjoying incomparable views of Lake Como and the bride and guests arrive by motor boat... This is a truly magical setting. The villa is set on a promontory and the grounds enclose a collection of terraces, brightly colored flowerbeds, loggias, an old church, a splendid staircase and incredibly manicured trees and shrubs cascading towards the blue waters of Lake Como The setting is flawless and a delight to the eyes.
Civil ceremonies at Villa Balbianello are possible! Distinctive Italy Weddings will assist you with all legal requirements to hold a legally binding ceremony at this Lake Como villa.
History of Villa Balbianello
The villa is situated in the town of Lenno and was was built in 1787 on the very tip of a peninsula by a cardinal. It was further improved by Giuseppe Visconti who created the romantic loggia and gardens of today and later purchased and restored in the early 20th century by an American military officer, Butler Ames. It is now managed by the National Trust of Italy. Villa Balbianello has been featured in the James Bond movie Casino Royale and also the Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones. The interior of the villa houses a museum of rich artifacts collected by the explorer Guido Monzino who led the first Italian expedition to climb Mount Everest. He was the last owner of Villa Balbianello and gifted the villa to the National Trust of Italy.
View some of our Balbianello weddings on our blog! http://www.distinctiveitalyweddings.com/blog/?s=balbianello
- Civil ceremonies are possible at Villa Balbianello and generally held in the Old Loggia.
- Maximum capacity of 150 for events.
- Wedding receptions can take place from 18:00 till 24:00 (6pm till midnight) with the option of extending the time till 2am.
- On Mondays and Wednesdays, when the Villa is closed to the public, events can take place within the entire day for a maximum of 6/8 hours.
- Fireworks are permitted.
- The largest hall for indoor ceremonies holds a maximum of 40 guests seated.
- The Loggia Segre - the new loggia with lake views is a new indoor reception option available for dinners.
- Receptions are possible and an approved caterer must be used.
- Depending on the type of event being held rental fees include:
- Exclusive use of Villa Balbianello for the wedding and if required the reception
- The day prior for mounting the marquee and dais for catering in the garden between the hours of 10:00am and 18:00pm.
- The day of the event from 10:00am to 18:00pm for wedding decor and preparations.
- The following day for taking down all decorations and marquees.
- Music is permitted.
- Villa Balbianello can only be accessed by boat.
- The church on the grounds is not a real consecrated church and is not available for wedding ceremonies.
- The villa's security personnel will be on site during the event.
- There is no accommodation at Villa Balbianello; it is only for ceremony and/or receptions
Wedding Reception at Villa Balbianello
A Villa Balbianello wedding reception can be held outdoors either under a marquee (required if using the gardens) or under the loggia or in the newly built Loggia Segre'. In either case a marquee is required for catering with dais. Guests will be able to explore the enchanted surroundings while enjoying refined Northern Italian cuisine and aperitifs.
Wedding Ceremony at Villa Balbianello
A civil, religious blessing or symbolic wedding ceremony at Villa Balbianello can take place under the beautiful arches of its ancient loggia which allows guests to enjoy the incredible panorama of lake and gardens. The loggia holds approximately 30/40 guests. In case of rain, the ceremony can move indoors inside the beautiful library, which is furnished with antiques. It too holds about 30/40 guests. Lrager numbers can be accommodated in the Loggia Segre' or under a marquee.